When you have a baby, there is very little you wouldn’t do to keep it safe and uncomfortable. One of the first things you should do at this point is buy a breathable crib mattress. This will help your baby sleep soundly at night and will keep it safe from dangers like SIDS. Listed below are reviews for 7 of the best breathable crib mattresses available on the market.
Hey wait, if you’re a parent and travels a lot, do check our guide to best seat cushions for long drives, such driving experiences cause severe pain in neck and back.
7. Kolcraft Pure Sleep Therapeutic 80 Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress
- 80 heavy gauge steel coils
- Non allergenic
- Greenguard gold certified for indoor air quality and low chemical emissions
- Perma-Dri cover
The Kolcraft Pure Sleep Therapeutic Mattress is a simple, no frills mattress that has a number of things that you will like. First of all, it is easy to clean. This is thanks to the perma-dri cover which repels moisture. Babies are obviously going to have a lot of accidents, especially while they are asleep. Leaky diapers are a very common occurrence, so it is important to get a mattress that won’t absorb all of that moisture.
You will also find that this mattress is safe for very young babies because of the fact that it is not too soft. However, your newborn might not like sleeping on it that much because the mattress tends to be kind of lumpy. Slightly older babies would have a better time at it. Also, the mattress isn’t all that durable, as a slight excess of pressure will end up making the mattress sag.
- Easy to clean
- Free of allergens
- Safe for new born infants
- Not very durable, doesn’t support pressure
- Reports of it being lumpy and uncomfortable
6. Emily Crib Mattress
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- Made of GOTS certified cotton and wool
- 150 coil inner spring
- Double sided
This mattress is a step above the Kolcraft Pure Sleep Therapeutic Mattress for a number of reasons. The Emily Crib Mattress is a double sided mattress which helps make it a lot more durable as you can keep flipping the mattress. This prevents any one side from facing too much pressure. Some mattresses can only be used on one side which is a major inconvenience.
The coil count in the Emily Crib Mattress is also almost twice that of the Kolcraft Mattress. This helps give your babies good support while they sleep. Babies have developing bodies which require quite a bit of support. While it has a high coil count, the surrounding material is soft and comfortable. This is a good thing, but you should keep in mind that it slightly increases the risk of SIDS. This is why this mattress didn’t rank higher on this list.
- Double sided design helps it last longer
- Relatively high coil count provides good support
- Organic cotton and wool good for gentle baby skin
- Comfortable design ensures sound sleep
- Unnecessarily expensive
- Bad initial odor
- Softness might increase risk of SIDS
5. Graco Premium Foam Crib & Toddler Bed Mattress
- 5 inches of breathable foam and water resistant inner lining
- Anti static and anti microbial cover
- Shipping weight: 10.7 pounds
- Dimensions: 27.6 x 52 x 5 inches
The main benefit of the Graco Premium Goam Crib Mattress is that it has an anti microbial cover. This can prevent your baby from getting sick. Babies have weak immune systems so they need all of the protection they can get. The size is also perfect for a standard crib size which is another convenient feature. A couple more things that we liked about this mattress is that it is comfortable enough to give your baby a sound sleep without being too soft. This makes SIDS far less likely, which is why this mattress ranks higher than the Emily Crib Mattress.
A couple of things you might not like about this mattress are the strong, unpleasant smell that you get when you open it up from the packaging and the long expansion period. The mattress will be quite compressed when you first take it out of its packaging and it will take three whole days to be fully ready for use. This is a very long period of time.
- Anti microbial cover helps prevent sickness
- Breathable foam keeps mattress cool
- Perfectly sized for a crib
- Firm for safety yet comfortable
- Strong chemical smell
- Takes three days to fully expand
4. Moonlight Slumber Breathable Dual Sided Baby Crib Mattress
- Dual sided
- Dimensions 27.5″ x 52″ x 5″
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Made of waterproof and hypoallergenic material
This is an interesting mattress for a lot of reasons. To start off with, the two sides serve different functions. One side is firm so that infants can sleep on it without being put at risk of SIDS. The other side is softer. Toddlers that aren’t at risk of SIDS anymore can enjoy a comfortable sleep on this side. The mattress is also waterproof, and thus easy to clean. These are two features that you definitely would want in your baby crib mattress. The cover is what gives the Moonlight Slumber Breathable Mattress these qualities.
This cover also causes problems. It is a little rough, which makes the mattress slightly uncomfortable. The mattress also has durability issues. After a short period of use it might start to sag in the center.
- One side firm for babies, other side soft for toddlers
- Easy to clean
- Will not trigger allergies
- Non removable cover is slightly uncomfortable
- Center of mattress starts to sag
3. Delta Children Twinkle Stars Fiber Core Crib and Toddler Mattress
- Greenguard gold certified
- Thermo bonded polyester fiber
- Dimensions: 27.5″W x 52″L x <6″H
- Weight: 14 pounds
The Delta Children Twinkle Stars mattress has a pretty cool design, and it’s covered in thermo bonded polyester. This is good for places where it gets quite cold because this type of material retains heat. This can help your baby stay comfortable while he or she is asleep. However, it might get a little too hot in summer months or if the place you’re living is excessively hot.
The mattress is also all natural with no chemicals that might end up harming your kid. This material is quite waterproof, and it’s surprising how cheap this mattress is considering all of the good features. The only other thing you need to worry about apart from it getting a little too hot is that it is a little too heavy. It is two or three pounds heavier than the average crib mattress which could potentially damage your crib after you use it for some time.
- Free of chemicals
- Material retains heat; perfect for winter
- Low price
- Waterproof material
- Heavier than average, might damage crib over time
- Might get uncomfortably hot
2. Milliard Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress
- Reinforced mattress
- Waterproof on both sides
- Fiberglass lining
- Dimensions: 52″ x 27.5″ x 5″
- Weight: 7.63 pounds
The Milliard Crib Mattress is a fantastic product that you should definitely look into. It is clearly superior to the Delta Children’s mattress in terms of weight. It is actually lighter than the average mattress weight which makes it great for people that move around a lot. You don’t have to worry about it getting damage either thanks to the fiberglass lining. The fit is perfect and you also get a much softer cover which makes it a lot better than the Moonlight Slumber mattress at number four.
There are a couple of problems that made this mattress miss out on the top spot. First of all, it’s a little too firm, you might have to fluff it up a little in order to make it usable for your baby. Also, the mattress isn’t quite as waterproof as it should be considering it is a highly quality product.
- Lightweight, perfect for frequent movers
- Fiberglass lining makes the mattress long lasting
- Perfect fit for standard crib size
- Soft, smooth, comfortable cover
- Not as waterproof as advertised
- A little too firm
1. Newton Baby Crib Mattress And Toddler Bed
- Made with Breathe-Thru technology
- Washable at home
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- Dimensions: 52 x 28 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 11 pounds
This right here is the gold standard when it comes to mattresses. The Newton Baby Crib Mattress is firm but still comfortable, and there is an excellent amount of breathability. It also smells quite clean with none of the harsh chemical smells that you get with most of the other mattresses on this list.
The mattress also cleans pretty easily, and it’s quite convenient that you can wash it at home by hand instead of having to use a specialized service. To top it all off, the mattress is completely waterproof which makes it pretty much perfect. It has literally all the features that a crib mattress is supposed to have.
That being said, all of these features come at a heavy price. This is not a cheap mattress, and though it is worth the price tag some shoppers might not be able to afford it.
- Firm yet breathable, perfect for baby safety
- Smells clean without harsh chemical odor
- Easy to wash
- Comfortable outer covering
- Too expensive for budget shoppers
As you can see above, there is no shortage of top quality mattresses in the market. All of the aforementioned mattresses are incredible but we found that the Newton Baby Crib Mattress was the best of the best. Check it out and see for yourself why it has become the most acclaimed baby crib mattress that the market has to offer.